What's next for Wink

Luciano Resende
The community has been slow but steady for a little while with mostly user questions where the user community has been helping each other.

Going forward, the community needs to decide what's next for the project, and I see mainly two options:

- Discuss what's next for the community, and look into ways where we can become more active. Some examples are around replacing the json.org dependency, creating new releases, or even maybe updating wink to support the latest specifications.

- The other option would be to retire the project.

Thoughts ? Ideas ?

Thoughts ? Ideas ?

Re: What's next for Wink

Brian Laskey
Hello, I know it is late, but with the holidays just wanted to comment (Happy New Year)

Our team has been using both the wink server and wink client components in some enterprise software products and tools, and it's been pretty successful, stable and supports our needs. As of now it is still a useful component to have.

Could the wink devs please elaborate on what 'retire' of the wink project might mean exactly? Just no maintenance and future updates? If there was no real enhancements planned, then maybe we have no need to consider the project active but still use the library, but longer term as the project ages versus current technologies might we be forced to migrate to other libraries anyway if things like a hypothetical security vulnerability show up?

From the wink users, if you are not using wink, what are the better alternative libraries (in Java) for REST server frameworks?

Our team also has experience with spring-rest which seems a reasonable alternative, we've recently looked at a completely different rest server framework like Spark Framework (http://sparkjava.com/), but not sure we'll go that route.